How to expand virtual disk for the ADL Virtual Appliance?

Issues related to installation of ADL
jhuangadl

How to expand virtual disk for the ADL Virtual Appliance?

Post by jhuangadl »

I did not see any configuration of disk space when I simply use VMware Fusion to open the vmk file.

It seems to have 250G by default.

Now I want to expand it. I tried several ways of expanding the virtual space disk, unfortunately it did not work out.

Any chance anyone has some experience with this topic, better on a Mac with VMware Fusion?

Thanks a lot!

-- Jingfeng
kbisanz

Re: How to expand virtual disk for the ADL Virtual Appliance

Post by kbisanz »

Is this still an issue? If so, I can contact a UW person and have them take a look at this post.
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
scottm

Post by scottm »

Before you start the Virtual Machine you need to open the setting from vm fussion.

Inside the settings you will find disk options. From there you can expand the disk.
jhuangadl

Post by jhuangadl »

Thanks a lot, Scott and Kevin,

I shut down the virtual machine, and found the option to expand the disk -- it only allows you to make it bigger.

However, although I feel the space is indeed getting larger, when I restart the virtual machine and use 'df' to check on the disk usage, it still shows the old information of space, but not the new space. This means I cannot monitor my space usage any more. Did anyone reported the same issue?

Thanks!
scottm wrote:Before you start the Virtual Machine you need to open the setting from vm fussion.

Inside the settings you will find disk options. From there you can expand the disk.
scottm

Post by scottm »

The disk space does not change when you change the setting. It should allow the VM to allocate more space when it needs it. So I beleive after you add more data df will show more space. Make sure you powered off and restarted the appliance after making the change to the disk size.
jhuangadl

Post by jhuangadl »

I did power it on and off quite many times to check on the situation. I changed from 250G to 500G, but the df command still list only 250G in total. Quite strange.
scottm wrote:The disk space does not change when you change the setting. It should allow the VM to allocate more space when it needs it. So I beleive after you add more data df will show more space. Make sure you powered off and restarted the appliance after making the change to the disk size.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Did it create a new partition?
jhuangadl

Post by jhuangadl »

No. I only saw one partition.
I remember see some online posting saying that, for windows Virtual Machine, after expansion, somehow need to change some settings to make the system recognize the new space. I lost that thread, but it could be very different for Mac case anyway.
scottm wrote:Did it create a new partition?
pe_meade_dpe

Post by pe_meade_dpe »

I am flying from memory here, but my recollection is that when you change the virtual hard disk size, you are effectively changing the size of the raw virtual hard drive, NOT the size of the formatted partition that exists on top of the raw hard drive. To do that, you'd need the Linux equivalent of something like Partition Magic, I think.
jhuangadl

Post by jhuangadl »

Thanks, Paul.
It seems the new size of the raw virtual hard drive worked, just without any monitoring capability.
So basically after I did that change, I need to use another software to resize the formatted partition. I will look into it.
Thanks!
pe_meade_dpe wrote:I am flying from memory here, but my recollection is that when you change the virtual hard disk size, you are effectively changing the size of the raw virtual hard drive, NOT the size of the formatted partition that exists on top of the raw hard drive. To do that, you'd need the Linux equivalent of something like Partition Magic, I think.