ADL_Packer

Issues related to installation of ADL
jhuangadl

ADL_Packer

Post by jhuangadl »

Any helpful hints on this ADL_Packer problem please?

Code: Select all

[scientist@localhost viirs_aerosol_outputs]$ /home/scientist/CSPP/ADL/tools/bin/ADL_Packer.exe 501aab57-6cda5-007f0100-cf7f4cac ~/
/home/scientist/CSPP/ADL/tools/bin/ADL_Packer.exe: FATAL ERROR:
Exception Stack:
> Exception encountered in 'ADL_Packer.cpp', method 'ADL_Packer()', line 167
> Exception encountered in 'ADL_Packer.cpp', method 'initDmsConnection()', line 770
> Exception encountered in 'DDSUTIL_DMSManager.cpp', method 'initialize', line 155
> Exception encountered in 'DDSUTIL_DMSManager.cpp', method 'initialize', line 139 : DMS API Client error : Invalid instance path - DMS Instance Path value passed in: JUST_NEED_TO_HAVE_AN_ENV_VARIABLE
I tried the gdb for more diganosis, but found no stack to look for errors. Any help is deeply appreciated!
kbisanz

Re: ADL_Packer

Post by kbisanz »

You need to set the environment variable INFTK_DM_ROOT to be the value of the absolute path to the directory containing your data (the path to viirs_aerosol_outputs/ in this case it looks like). The tool will then search that directory for the specific files you specify (501aab57-6cda5-007f0100-cf7f4cac in this case).

Running "./ADL_Packer.exe -h" shows this at the end of the usage statement:

Code: Select all

Required Environment Variables:
INFTK_DM_ROOT Environment variable must be set to the
              ADL algorithm inputs directory, containing
              files of the form <URID>.asc and <URID>.<CSN>
If you have multiple directories, you can separate each with a colon, just like input paths.
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
jhuangadl

Post by jhuangadl »

Thanks, Kevin,

It worked for the EDR files!

However, I am dealing with a diagnosis output:

501aab57-a9bbd-007f0100-cf831ac4.asc
501aab57-a9bbd-007f0100-cf831ac4.VIIRS-Aeros-EDR-Output-Diagnostics

So I tried the similar way:
[scientist@localhost viirs_aerosol_outputs]$ /home/scientist/CSPP/ADL/tools/bin/ADL_Packer.exe 501aab57-a9bbd-007f0100-cf831ac4 ~/viirs_aerosol_outputs/
/home/scientist/CSPP/ADL/tools/bin/ADL_Packer.exe: Finished.

but there are no any new h5 files generated.

Is it because it cannot find the corresponding xml files? If so, how to tell it to find it?

Thanks!
kbisanz

Post by kbisanz »

The packer can only create h5 files for certain products. Only products listed as "deliverable" in the CDFCB can be placed into h5 files.

If you look in $ADL_HOME/cfg/DataProducts/ there is a file for each product that can be packed into an h5 file.

I have never created/updated any of the files in $ADL_HOME/cfg/DataProducts/, but from looking at a few, they appear pretty long. So I'm not sure if creating a new one is an option. I'm also not sure if a new file was created if things would "just work" or if other files would need to be updated.

This isn't just a limitation of ADL. It's a limitation of the operation system too. If a new product would be delivered from the operational system, one of those XML files would need to be created. Possibly other updates too. I'm not sure how that works.

In short, you won't be able to generate an h5 file for your new product. :(

If you feel this is a big limitation, please express this to Paul Meade as a possible future enhancement to ADL. It would then be impacted to see how much it would cost. The cost would then be weighed against the benefit and a decision would be made regarding whether or not this should be included in future ADL work.
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
jhuangadl

Post by jhuangadl »

Thanks a lot, Kevin,
Well, there is no perfect life. And we have to move on with whatever we have. Glad I am learning more and more from you. :)
Thanks,
Jingfeng
johanajackson

Post by johanajackson »

ADL has a number of officially distributed tools to simplify the tasks for end users.