Unpacking ASCII ANC files

Data formats, HDF5, XML profiles, etc.
gfireman

Unpacking ASCII ANC files

Post by gfireman »

• ADL expects USNO-PolarWander-UT1-ANC to be input as a binary/metadata file pair.
  • USNO-PolarWander-UT1-ANC files are delivered in HDF5.
  • ADL_Unpacker outputs an ASCII file, in the same format as the USNO's finals2000A.all.
I know others have developed tools to write the equivalent binary. Is there one in ADL - or a way to use the H5 or ASCII file directly? How does the IDPS use this data?
Ms Gwyn Fireman
Ocean PEATE, NASA/GSFC
kbisanz

Re: Unpacking ASCII ANC files

Post by kbisanz »

Certain ADL algorithms want USNO-PolarWander-UT1-ANC-Int (not -ANC) as a binary/metadata file pair.

You're correct that USNO-PolarWander-UT1-ANC is available as HDF5 and needs to be unpacked and then converted to the -ANC-Int.

You *should* be able to unpack the h5 file with the ADL unpacker, though I've heard rumors of people having issues with it.

There is not a tool in ADL to convert the file into the -ANC-Int version that ADL needs. A tool will be provided in ADL Phase 4.

Currently Richard Cember and I believe Carol Davidson have tools to do the conversion.

In IDPS, the Ingest subsystem converts the data to the -ANC-Int format. That code is not yet in ADL.
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
gfireman

Re: Unpacking ASCII ANC files

Post by gfireman »

The ADL unpacker works, but gives me the same file I could download from the USNO. No point in grabbing the H5 file when we can download the content directly.

Carol Davidson gave me her converter a few weeks ago, but it requires the Land PEATE environment. I wrote a lighter-weight version in IDL, which I'll probably convert to C or Python for better portability.

Thanks.
Ms Gwyn Fireman
Ocean PEATE, NASA/GSFC