How do i process RDR files older than Nov 2015 ?

VIIRS Sensor Data Record
songhan89

How do i process RDR files older than Nov 2015 ?

Post by songhan89 »

Hi,

1. I understand that in order to reprocess old RDR before Nov 2015, some special handling is required. Could you advise me how to do that ?
2. Anybody has any idea if it is possible to merge RDR swaths ?

Thanks.
kathys

Re: How do i process RDR files older than Nov 2015 ?

Post by kathys »

The current version of the CSPP SDR sofware (v2.2), can process some data prior to November 2015. From the CSPP SDR Version 2.2 Installation Guide:

CSPP SDR Version 2.2 can be used for creating VIIRS, CrIS and ATMS SDRs from historical RDRs beginning with data collected on 5 July 2014. However, processing historical VIIRS datasets that cross the static LUT to RSBAUTOCAL coefficient file boundary (See section 2.2.1) of 9 November 2015 at 17:00 UTC, will cause the CSPP SDR v2.2 software to fail. Processing data sets that begin and end prior to this boundary, or begin and end after this boundary will complete successfully.

Processing historical data sets prior to 5 July 2014 would require the execution of previous versions of CSPP SDR software.

As for your second question, do you wish to merge RDRs, or do you wish to create aggregated SDRs from input muliple RDRs? What is the output you are looking for?

Kathy
songhan89

Post by songhan89 »

Hi Kathy,

1. Thanks for the clarifications. Had misunderstood thinking that the data before 9 Nov 2015 would not work. Should have read more carefully.

2. I wish to reprocess RDR data from CLASS into SDR/EDR. The RDRs from CLASS are in 5-min swath and I am trying to merge all these individual swaths into one big RDR for reprocessing. I understand nagg can be used to merge SDR but it doesn't seem to work for RDR when I tried it out.
kathys

Post by kathys »

>I wish to reprocess RDR data from CLASS into SDR/EDR. The RDRs from CLASS are in 5-min swath and I am trying to merge all these individual swaths into one big RDR for reprocessing. I understand nagg can be used to merge SDR but it doesn't seem to work for RDR when I tried it out.

You are right. The HDF5 nagg utility does not seem to work on RDR files.

If you are using CSPP SDR version 2.2, then follow these instructions to allow multiple VIIRS RDR processing and aggregation at the same time:

Edit the $CSPP_SDR_HOME/viirs/adl_viirs_sdr.py file and comment out line 951 (place a # sign in the first column):

line 951 # sys.exit(2)

You will still see an error message when processing, but it will now process and aggregate your VIIRS output SDRs.

The next version of CSPP SDR software, Version 3.0, will include this capability. You will not have to comment out a line of source code for it to work.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.