What is the difference between EDR and Active Fires 1.0?

VIIRS Environmental Data Records
songhan89

What is the difference between EDR and Active Fires 1.0?

Post by songhan89 »

Hi,

Is there any difference between active fires products generated from

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cspp/viirs_fire_v1.0.shtml

and

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cspp/viirs_edr_v2.0.shtml

?

Thanks.
kathys

Re: What is the difference between EDR and Active Fires 1.0?

Post by kathys »

Yes there is. The viirs_fire_v1.0.shtml is a replacement from NOAA for the algorithm that is released as part of the CSPP EDR Fire package. As you may have noticed, the VIIRS EDRs are largely being replaced by official NOAA algorithms. The VIIRS active fires is one of those algorithms.

Hope this answers your question.

Kathy
songhan89

Post by songhan89 »

Hi Kathy,

Does that mean in future we will see more smaller individual packages meant to replace EDR 2.0 algorithm?

Or will SSEC update the corresponding algorithm within the EDR package itself to ensure consistency?
kathys

Post by kathys »

Not all CSPP EDR products will be replaced, but most of them will be. We are investigating the effort it will take to port the EDR software for compatibility to the new SDR Block 2.0 software.

We are also working with NOAA to release their official AIT framework algorithms, which will be delivered as individual stand alone packages.

Kathy
songhan89

Post by songhan89 »

Hi Kathy,

Do you know where can i get archive data for N20 active fire products? It seems that NOAA Class only has archives for NPP EDR AVAFO.

Does it mean i have to process all N20 SDRs in order to get archive data of the fire products? Thanks.

Regards,
Songhan.
kathys

Post by kathys »

Hi Songhan,

The NOAA20 VIIRS Active Fire Product has not reached Validated Maturity stage yet at NOAA. It is scheduled to do so in December 2019. I am pretty sure this is why it is not archived at CLASS yet. I will check with the algorithm developer to see if there is a source for these files.

Right now, the CSPP software does not support NOAA20 Fire Retrievals. The NOAA VIIRS algorithm developer is working on providing us with the software that will support NOAA20 as well as I-Band and M-Band retrievals on both NOAA20 and S-NPP satellites.

Kathy