polar2grid, arbitrary field

zion0210

polar2grid, arbitrary field

Post by zion0210 »

Hi colleagues,

For visualisation VIIRS products, i use H2G SPA v.2.3, but H2G not allows choose arbitrary projection and set the size of field image.
Also H2G not allow choose arbitrary fields from *.h5 file.

Can i create with help polar2grid image or binary file for arbitrary field of SVM{01..16}*.h5 files or for arbitrary fields of VIIRS output files,
such as "activ fire", "snow mask", "NDVI" and other?

Thanks!
davidh

Re: polar2grid, arbitrary field

Post by davidh »

Hi there,

You can use any projection you'd like with polar2grid to make geotiff images or binary files. You can even set the size of the output grid.

Polar2grid can create images from any VIIRS field that we've been funded to create. Right now, that list includes all I and M bands and the Day/Night band (with 2 types of special histogram equalization). We are preparing to release a new version that will allow the VIIRS sea surface temperature product (VSSTO) to be used. We do not currently have the ability to remap the other fields you mentioned (NDVI, etc) from VIIRS. I should note that for the files that polar2grid can handle, it only supports creating images of the primary variable of the file (Reflectance, BrightnessTemperature, Radiance, etc).

If you'd like to create sharpened true color images from VIIRS or MODIS data we support this as well. Let us know if you need any other help.
zion0210

Post by zion0210 »

Hi davidh,
You can use any projection you'd like with polar2grid to make geotiff images or binary files. You can even set the size of the output grid.
It's very good. I use this for create image for import in GIS with using different projections. Prog4 helps me create location file for МapInfo.
If you'd like to create sharpened true color images from VIIRS or MODIS data we support this as well. Let us know if you need any other help.
The color image helps me create my "old friend" ImageMagick. For example: NPP true color m05/m04/m03 fig.1 and NPP false color m11/m07/m05 fig.2.
fig.1 - http://yadi.sk/d/DBFfGvyQLZ8J3
fig.2 - http://yadi.sk/d/qaN_SLC-LZ9BZ

I hope, what my "old friend" will help me create image for other field for viirs data, if i will create binary file containing field that interesting me.

Therefore i need help to create binary file, for example, containing snow mask.

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
davidh

Post by davidh »

We are working on being able to process things like snow mask for a future release, but it isn't available yet.

I also wanted to note that the true color images produced by polar2grid use corrected reflectance and it sharpens the image to produce a better looking image than you might get from just combining the data from the files. Here is a 25% scaled PNG of a geotiff I had lying around:
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~davidh/tmp/p2g_true_color.png

Sorry polar2grid doesn't have all of the features you were looking for...yet.
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

Dear Collegues,

Please could say if the current version of polar2grid allows the processing of the broadcasted by Eumetcast VIIRS NPP data?
Example of data structure:

GMODO_npp_d20160225_t1132079_e1133320_b22432_c20160225113836719696_cspp_dev.h5
SVM{01...16}_npp_d20160225_t1132079_e1133320_b22432_c20160225113838215564_cspp_dev.h5

Regards,
Dmitry
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Dmitry,

Yes Polar2Grid should handle files with those names. However, users normally use the terrain-corrected geolocation files (GMTCO, GITCO) instead of the spheroid geolocation (GMODO, GIMGO). To use the spheroid files you may need to specify the `--no-tc` flag to the `viirs2gtiff.sh` script or whatever VIIRS script you are using. Hope this helps. If you need additional information I would suggest starting your own topic by clicking the "New Topic" button at the top of the Polar2Grid forum page: viewforum.php?f=66

Dave