Some questions about Polar2Grid

davidh

Re: Some questions about Polar2Grid

Post by davidh »

Hi Dmitry,

1. I really don't have a good estimate for a release with this feature right now. I will have a better idea in the next couple weeks, but it was only just discussed yesterday as something that should be added.

2. I'm sorry I was mistaken about what resolution Polar2Grid supports of the NDVI. You should be able to do the 1000m NDVI, but not the others right now. You'll also need to specify both the data file and the "geo" file on the command line.
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

Dear Dave,

Please, if possible, consider with your colleagues the inclusion of ndvi products processing within the future polar2grid version.
Do you know in which program I can perform the correct conversion of ndvi 250 m data?

Dmitry
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dmitry,

What do you mean by "correct conversion" of ndvi 250m? And maybe there was a misunderstanding but Polar2Grid *does* (or at least it should) support the 1000m resolution of NDVI, unless you are asking for the other resolutions of it. If you meant the other resolutions then I definitely think it will be added.

Dave
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

Dave,

Yes, I was talking namely about NDVI 250 m. A correct conversion means having into account the bow tie effect and other aspects.

Dmitry
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dmitry,

I am not aware of any other software that handles the bow tie effect like Polar2Grid does. If you are willing to do some python programming there is the "mpop" library for python that is created by the pytroll group, but it won't be as simple to use as Polar2Grid.

Dave
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

Dear Dave,
I will wait for the new polar2grid version to be released.
I still studying new imapp capabilities. imapp has the “modis_L1A_extract.py” python module (see attachment). As I undestand, this module allows me to execute the processing of part of the flight strip.

My example,
modis_L1A_extract.py T2016192091816.L1A_LAC T2016192091816.GEO 22.00 51.00 34.00 57.00 T2016192091816.L1A_LAC T2016192091816.GEO
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/dgorski/dbvm/apps/modisl1db/ocssw/run/scripts/modis_L1A_extract.py", line 62, in <module>
anc_utils.DEFAULT_ANC_DIR_TEXT + "/log/ does not " \
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'DEFAULT_ANC_DIR_TEXT'

My question is: While trying to start up the module I get the following error message:

Please, if you have something to do with this module I ask you, please, either help me run it or let me know whom I may contact to solve it. The forum branch on imapp questions is not too active.
Regards,
Dmitry
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

Dear Dave,

Please, do you have any news about support ndvi_250m in polar2grid?

Best regards,
Dmitry
kathys

Post by kathys »

Hello Dmitry,

The choice of products to support with Polar2Grid is guided by our funding agencies. Although we anticipate the MODIS 250m NDVI to be included in the P2G suite of products in the future, I can only say that there are many other products that are a priority. I am sorry I cannot give you and better estimate than to say that it will not be included in the next release of P2G, meaning it will not be available before the end of the year, and the earliest I would expect this to be available would be the middle of 2017.

Kathy
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

Dear Dave,

Please accept my congratulations for the release of the new p2g version. I surely will try its functionalities.
There is one thing I would like to know: is there any ready to use file for modis, something like viirs.yaml?

Is it necessary to work with p2g?

Best regards,
Dmitry
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dmitry,

Thank you. The `viirs.yaml` file is a custom configuration file for the SatPy library that I'm developing with the PyTroll group (https://github.com/pytroll/satpy) and is used internally for Polar2Grid. There is probably a yaml file for MODIS in SatPy, but we do not currently use that reader in Polar2Grid. As development continues on SatPy it will eventually provide all of the internal logic for Polar2Grid. This release is only an initial step in making this happen. Since SatPy is still in rapid development the yaml configuration files used in the current release of Polar2Grid will not always work with the current public release of SatPy. It is probably best if you don't modify these yaml files in the Polar2Grid release without guidance. If you have a specific feature/modification you'd like to accomplish please create a new forum post for it and we can discuss the best way forward. Thanks again.

Dave