IMAPP MODIS/VIIRS Aerosol Air Quality Forecast Software v1.2

kathys

IMAPP MODIS/VIIRS Aerosol Air Quality Forecast Software v1.2

Post by kathys »

IMAPP MODIS/VIIRS Aerosol Air Quality Forecast IDEA-I Software Package Version 1.2 Release

Dear Colleagues,

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is pleased to announce the release of an update to the IMAPP software package in support of Air Quality Forecasters. This release of NASA International MODIS/AIRS Processing Package (IMAPP) software uses areas of high MODIS Aerosol Optical Depth (AOD) (MOD04 product) and/or the Suomi NPP VIIRS AOD Environmental Data Record (EDR) (VAOOO product) to initiate a trajectory model which then calculates the vertical and horizontal movement of the pollution over the next 48 hours from direct broadcast data. The output products are both a set of NetCDF data files and a series of images that can be animated in a browser using PHP software included with the package.

Version 1.2 updates include:
  • - Added support for the Suomi NPP VIIRS instrument, including retrievals, trajectories and web PHP displays. The software utilizes Community Satellite Processing Package (CSPP) and/or NOAA CLASS VIIRS AOD EDRs.
    - Trajectory web display is now color-coded by surface minus trajectory pressure, instead of pressure, to better show near-surface air parcels in forecast trajectories.
Complete installation and run instructions are included with the release. The IDEA-I software package was developed from the original IDEA package used by United States Air Quality Forecasters.

This Infusing satellite Data into Environmental Applications-International (IDEA-I) software is globally configurable and can be installed and run on most versions of 64 bit Intel Linux platforms. For more information on the development and use of IDEA, please see the official US IDEA website.

The IDEA-I software can be downloaded from the IMAPP website at:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/imapp/ideai_v1.2.shtml

Best regards,

Kathy Strabala and James Davies