how to generate binary ancillary files for ADL3.0

Data formats, HDF5, XML profiles, etc.
ljiang

how to generate binary ancillary files for ADL3.0

Post by ljiang »

Hi,

I would like to know how to generate NCEP-ANC-Int from official ancillary h5 files. I am aware of the bin/ProAncTemporalInterpolation.exe executable, and I am assuming it is responsible for this task. However I don't know how to use this utility. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lide
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR
kbisanz

Re: how to generate binary ancillary files for ADL3.0

Post by kbisanz »

ProAncTemporalInterpolation.exe performs temporal interpolation of NCEP-ANC-Int files. For example, if you had 06HR and 09HR NCEP-ANC-Int data, it would create 07HR and 08HR files by performing a weighted average on the 06HR and 09HR data.

I believe what you're asking is how to get NCEP-ANC-Int from the .h5 files which contain NCEP-ANC data? I do not know that off the top of my head. I will have to check when I get back in the office.
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
ljiang

Post by ljiang »

exactly. we need to know how to get NCEP-ANC-Int files from official acillary files in h5 format.
kbisanz wrote:ProAncTemporalInterpolation.exe performs temporal interpolation of NCEP-ANC-Int files. For example, if you had 06HR and 09HR NCEP-ANC-Int data, it would create 07HR and 08HR files by performing a weighted average on the 06HR and 09HR data.

I believe what you're asking is how to get NCEP-ANC-Int from the .h5 files which contain NCEP-ANC data? I do not know that off the top of my head. I will have to check when I get back in the office.
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR
kbisanz

Post by kbisanz »

The ability to create NCEP-ANC-Int files from NCEP-ANC data will not officially exist until ADL 4.0 is released. However, the University of Wisconsin was tasked with providing an interim solution. I just emailed a couple of UW people to ask about this issue. I will post back when I hear something. I gave a link to this topic in my email, so they may post back to this topic.

Additionally, ProAncTemporalInterpolation.exe somehow slipped into the ADL 3.0 release. It's not scheduled to be completed until ADL 4.0. Apparently an executable is built in ADL 3.0, but we have not tested it yet. So, ProAncTemporalInterpolation.exe may not work.
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
ljiang

Post by ljiang »

I am trying to use the tools by UW to convert NCEP native format to ADL blob. However I got this error:

File "NCEPtoBlob.py", line 53
class NCEPclass():
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I am wondering what version of python is required to use this tool? The version on my machine is 2.4.3.
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR
geoffc

Post by geoffc »

ljiang wrote:I am trying to use the tools by UW to convert NCEP native format to ADL blob. However I got this error:

File "NCEPtoBlob.py", line 53
class NCEPclass():
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I am wondering what version of python is required to use this tool? The version on my machine is 2.4.3.
I think it's safe to say that you need at least python 2.5. Someone at UW is testing a self contained python environment
which can be unzipped in a directory, and should provide everything you need to run ADL python scripts. Look out for that
in the next few days.
Geoff P. Cureton, PhD
Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1225 W. Dayton St.
Madison WI 53706, USA
Phone: +1 608 890 0706
bthomas

Post by bthomas »

geoffc wrote: I think it's safe to say that you need at least python 2.5. Someone at UW is testing a self contained python environment
which can be unzipped in a directory, and should provide everything you need to run ADL python scripts. Look out for that
in the next few days.
Any update on the self-contained python environment?
kbisanz

Post by kbisanz »

Have you received any update on this topic?
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
ljiang

Post by ljiang »

kbisanz wrote:Have you received any update on this topic?
not any. is the new version of the tool out yet?
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR
kbisanz

Post by kbisanz »

I do not have any news on this topic.

I have alerted the University of Wisconsin group. They should be able to provide an update.
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company