NOAA VIIRS Active Fire Software Version 2.0 Release

kathys

NOAA VIIRS Active Fire Software Version 2.0 Release

Post by kathys »

Dear Colleagues,

The Community Satellite Processing Package (CSPP) project at CIMSS/SSEC/UW-Madison is pleased to announce the release of a new version of the NOAA JPSS VIIRS Active Fire Software in support of direct broadcast SuomiNPP and NOAA-20 satellites.

The NOAA JPSS Active Fires Team is led by Ivan Csiszar at the NOAA NESDIS Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR). NOAA’s VIIRS active fire product development has been done through collaboration between STAR, the University of Maryland and the NASA VIIRS Land Science Team. This CSPP release provides the NESDIS Data Exploitation (NDE) operational version 1.0 of the VIIRS 375m “I-band” algorithm (equivalent to offline vfire375 version 2.5.4), and the NESDIS/STAR version of the 750m “M-band” algorithm, both adapted and tested for execution in a real-time direct broadcast environment. The “M-band” retrieval algorithm has not changed from the previous CSPP release Version 1.1.

Retrieval software is provided for both VIIRS M-Band (750m) and I-Band (375m) resolutions. The software package includes binary executable files, wrapper scripts and supporting static data files. A separate test data package can be downloaded for verifying a successful installation.

What's New in CSPP Active Fire Version 2.0?
● VIIRS I-Band resolution updated retrieval code base (NDE version 1.0). The M-Band software has not been changed.
● I-Band output product format changes including:
  • New NetCDF “groups” have been added.
  • Persistent anomaly retrieval array added.
● Patch for Polar2Grid Version 2.3 in support of new I-Band NetCDF files.

Two output product types are created per granule for each I-Band and M-Band resolution execution. These product types are:

1) NetCDF4 product file that includes these Key Parameters:

● A fire mask that includes the confidence of fire at that pixel.
● Location of the active fire in terms of granule line/element and latitude/longitude.
● M-Band 13 brightness temperature of fire pixel (K) or I-Band 4 brightness temperature of fire pixel (K).
● Fire radiative power (MW).
● Persistent Anomaly array (I-Band only).

2) ASCII Text File containing the following information:

● Latitude of fire pixel (degrees).
● Longitude of fire pixel (degrees).
● M-Band 13 brightness temperature of fire pixel (K) or I-Band 4 brightness temperature of fire pixel (K).
● Along-scan fire pixel resolution (km).
● Along-track fire pixel resolution (km).
● Fire detection confidence.
● Fire radiative power (MW).
● Persistent Anomaly category 1-5 (I-Band only).

Please note that the ASCII Text File is created for a VIIRS granule when there has been at least one active fire detected within that granule. Therefore, your output may consist of more NetCDF4 granule data files than ASCII output granule text files.

In addition to describing how to install and execute the software, the installation guide includes instructions on overlaying the output fire products onto an underlying Polar2Grid GeoTIFF image.

Geoff Cureton leads CSPP Active Fire software development at the Space Science and Engineering Center located at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The CSPP NOAA Active Fire software Version 2.0, documentation and test data are available for download at: https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cspp/download/

Kathy (For the CSPP Team)