Error reading GOES cloud file with geo2grid

rrabin

Error reading GOES cloud file with geo2grid

Post by rrabin »

Hello,
I am trying to remap and extract a binary array from a clavrx "cloud" netCDF file. The file name is input.nc. It can be found in: ftp.ssec.wisc.edu:/pub/incoming/input.nc.

When running geo2grid, I receive the following error.
$GEO2GRID_HOME/bin/geo2grid.sh geo2grid -v -r clavrx -w binary -f input.nc -g WGS84_MESO --grid-configs mygrid.conf -p PRES --output-filename {platform_name}_{sensor}_{name}_{start_time:%Y%m%d_%H%M}_rows{area.shape[0]}_cols{area.shape[1]}_ae{area.area_extent[0]}_{area.area_extent[1]}_{area.area_extent[2]}_{area.area_extent[3]:3.2f} --no-enhance --method nearest

WARNING : No filenames found for reader: clavrx
WARNING : Don't know how to open the following files: {'input.nc'}
ERROR : No supported files found

Thanks,
-Bob
rrabin

Re: Error reading GOES cloud file with geo2grid

Post by rrabin »

From the documentation, the input file reader should be abi_l2.nc:
https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/software/geo2 ... l2_nc.html

Running:
$GEO2GRID_HOME/bin/geo2grid.sh geo2grid -v -r abi_l2_nc -w binary -f input.nc -g WGS84_MESO --grid-configs mygrid.conf -p PRES --output-filename {platform_name}_{sensor}_{name}_{start_time:%Y%m%d_%H%M}_rows{area.shape[0]}_cols{area.shape[1]}_ae{area.area_extent[0]}_{area.area_extent[1]}_{area.area_extent[2]}_{area.area_extent[3]:3.2f} --no-enhance --method nearest

I still get an error:
DEBUG : Setting preferred chunk size to 1356 pixels or 14MiB
DEBUG : Reading ('/ships19/winds/rabin/CSPP/geo2grid-swbundle-20220718-201315/libexec/python_runtime/lib/python3.10/site-packages/satpy/etc/readers/abi_l2_nc.yaml',)
WARNING : No filenames found for reader: abi_l2_nc
WARNING : Don't know how to open the following files: {'input.nc'}
ERROR : No supported files found

Thanks, -Bob
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi,

On that documentation page it points out the expected filename format. For example:

OR_ABI-L2-{PROD}F-M3_G16_s20182531700311_e20182531711090_c20182531711149.nc

Your CLAVR-x file does not match that format and also the `abi_l2_nc` reader does not read CLAVR-x files, only a subset of NOAA official L2 products. There is a separate clavrx reader that you can use by specifying `-r clavrx` as your reader, but it is not officially supported by the Geo2Grid project and I know that it has had updates in the last 6 months or so that may not be included in the most recent release of Geo2Grid.

I can ask the developer currently in charge of CLAVR-x work in Satpy (the library used under the hood in Geo2Grid) what the status of the reader is and if we can expect your files to work with it.

Dave
rrabin

Post by rrabin »

Thank you Dave!
rrabin

Post by rrabin »

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if you have had a chance to contact the developer regarding support for the CLAVR-x files.

Thanks! -Bob
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Bob,

The developer I was referring to was Joleen Feltz and from my understanding you've been in contact. Joleen mentioned that she recommended using GDAL's tools for handling the file you have as there isn't a reader that can load them in Satpy.

Dave
rrabin

Post by rrabin »

Hi Dave,

Yes, Joleen was helping me with geo2grid and did recently suggest using GDAL.

I didn't realize that Joleen was the developer that you referred to.

Thanks for you help!

-Bob