How to expand virtual disk for the ADL Virtual Appliance?

Issues related to installation of ADL
rayg

Re: How to expand virtual disk for the ADL Virtual Appliance

Post by rayg »

My recollection is that 'parted' or 'gparted' can be used to change partition sizes. You can also use fdisk. You'd want to unmount the partition being expanded, then move its endpoint out to the new end of the virtual disk.

Once the partition is resized you'll need to expand the filesystem with a utility like resize2fs.

If the virtual machine is using LVM (logical volume management) it gets more interesting. I've had to do this with a virtual server instance before and it's not fun. The instructions I referenced are at http://allaboutfedora.blogspot.com/2007 ... itions.htm

My general preference, however, is to use shares via /mnt/hgfs where possible, though that has gotchas with things like hard links and user/group permissions not performing as expected, so they're not the greatest if you want to fully replace /home or another filesystem.
scottm

Post by scottm »

The virtual appliance is set up so that it can boot from CD. You can use the gparted bootable image to boot the applaince and change partition sizes. In vmplayer point the cd to a copy of the gparted disk then boot the applaince. Change the partition size and reboot to the normal system.
scottm

Post by scottm »

In VMplayer, under hardware/CD

connection - choose

Use iso image

select a gparted iso image and boot it

gparted is at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted ... ve-stable/
NikkiSingh1985

Post by NikkiSingh1985 »

vedic

Post by vedic »

use safe mode is an best option.
uaetranslator

Post by uaetranslator »

:D
jhuangadl wrote:Thanks, Paul.
It seems the new size of the raw virtual hard drive worked, just without any monitoring capability.
So basically after I did that change, I need to use another software to resize the formatted partition. I will look into it.
Thanks!
pe_meade_dpe wrote:I am flying from memory here, but my recollection is that when you change the virtual hard disk size, you are effectively changing the size of the raw virtual hard drive, NOT the size of the formatted partition that exists on top of the raw hard drive. To do that, you'd need the Linux equivalent of something like Partition Magic, I think.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Hi, Are you still using the virtual appliance. We are currently working on replacing it for the ADL 5.2 systems. we will also be supplying a docker version. As far as increasing disk space goes we have found that it is easier to remove mount a local file system. Would you like to wait for the 5.2 version or do you need further instruction.
riteshpatil

Post by riteshpatil »

You can add storage room to a virtual machine by extending its virtual hard plate.

When you extend a virtual hard plate, the additional space is not instantly accessible to the virtual machine. To make the additional space accessible, you should utilize a plate administration device to build the measure of the current segment on the virtual hard circle to coordinate the extended size.

The circle administration device that you utilize relies on upon the virtual machine visitor working framework. Many working frameworks, including Windows Vista, Windows 7, and a few adaptations of Linux, give worked in circle administration devices that can resize allotments. Outsider circle administration devices are additionally accessible, for example, Symantec/Norton PartitionMagic, EASEUS Partition Master, Acronis Disk Director, and the open-source device GParted.

When you grow the span of a virtual hard circle, the sizes of parcels and record frameworks are not influenced.

As a contrasting option to growing a virtual hard plate, you can include another virtual hard circle to the virtual machine.