binary editor issues

Data formats, HDF5, XML profiles, etc.
ljiang

binary editor issues

Post by ljiang »

Hi, I tried to use binary editor but had some issue with it.

First, I cannot directly edit the values. It open the window showing the value when I double-click on the field but it didn't let me making any input from the keyboard.

Second, I then have to do export, import to modify. But strangely when I export it to a file, I was not able to keying the file name to save, but have to make a dummy file before hand and select on it.

It seems to me like an issue with the java GUI? but I didn't get any error messages or warnings.

Thanks!
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR
ljiang

Re: binary editor issues

Post by ljiang »

I am using putty and xming if that matters.
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR
lucy liu

Post by lucy liu »

I have the same problem. I found that it is related to the position the window shows up. If the window shows up completely. then I can not edit the value.
If the window title part does not show on my screen, then I am able to edit the value.
There is no clue when it is gonna show the right window so I have to try until it allows me to edit the value.
ljiang

Post by ljiang »

what's your working environment? Are you using a terminal like client in windows system or a linux desktop? It seems Kevin used it ok on their Linux desktop based on an earlier thread you started.
lucy liu wrote:I have the same problem. I found that it is related to the position the window shows up. If the window shows up completely. then I can not edit the value.
If the window title part does not show on my screen, then I am able to edit the value.
There is no clue when it is gonna show the right window so I have to try until it allows me to edit the value.
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR
lucy liu

Post by lucy liu »

I have putty and xming for gui as well.
kbisanz

Post by kbisanz »

At the workshop, a native laptop Linux install was used and I didn't see any problems like you've described. On Windows, the xhost we use instead of Xming is called "Exceed". It's a non-free application. I do not know why they chose that over Xming.

I tried using the binary editor with PuTTY and Exceed and did not see any issues. I was able to edit a few values and export a few fields without issues.

I searched around a bit and found this page: http://superuser.com/questions/57407/pr ... plications

I'm not sure if that'll fix your issue as I cannot reproduce it.

Is this issue specific to the binary editor? What about the XML editor? Or something not ADL related, like FireFox?
Kevin Bisanz
Raytheon Company
ljiang

Post by ljiang »

It also applies to xml editor. I will just leave it alone since we don't do a lot of modifications and we can manage to do that through import/export functions.
kbisanz wrote:At the workshop, a native laptop Linux install was used and I didn't see any problems like you've described. On Windows, the xhost we use instead of Xming is called "Exceed". It's a non-free application. I do not know why they chose that over Xming.

I tried using the binary editor with PuTTY and Exceed and did not see any issues. I was able to edit a few values and export a few fields without issues.

I searched around a bit and found this page: http://superuser.com/questions/57407/pr ... plications

I'm not sure if that'll fix your issue as I cannot reproduce it.

Is this issue specific to the binary editor? What about the XML editor? Or something not ADL related, like FireFox?
Lide Jiang
CIRA @ NOAA/NESDIS/STAR