Stratospheric Ozone Intrusion Forecast Package V1.0

kathys

Stratospheric Ozone Intrusion Forecast Package V1.0

Post by kathys »

IMAPP Stratospheric Ozone Intrusion Air Quality Forecast IDEA-I Software Version 1.0

Dear Colleagues,

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is pleased to announce the release of a software package in support of Air Quality Forecasters. This release of NASA International MODIS/AIRS Processing Package (IMAPP) software uses areas of high ozone concentrations as retrieved by hyperspectral sounders to initiate a trajectory model which then calculates the vertical and horizontal movement of these ozone areas over the next 48 hours from direct broadcast data. The output products are both a set of NetCDF data files and a series of images that can be animated in a browser using PHP software included with the package. The images show the movement of the ozone color coded by the difference in the height of the forecast ozone trajectory and the height of the surface in hPa. Areas where the stratospheric ozone is forecast to affect the surface will appear as trajectories shaded pink.

Hyperspectral Sounder Dual Regression Ozone Profile Retrievals (an IMAPP/CSPP software package) are used to identify regions of high ozone concentrations (>80 ppb) below 500 hPa, and then a trajectory model is run to forecast the horizontal and vertical movement of the ozone over the next 48 hours. The IDEA-I ozone intrusion software identifies regions of stratospheric intrusions, where stratospheric air descends into the troposphere due to tropopause folding events. These events are most likely to occur during the winter/spring months in the case of jet streams at the base of very strong low pressure systems and are most likely to influence surface ozone in regions of elevated terrain.

The dual regression retrieval software supports these hyperspectral sounders:
Aqua Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS),
Suomi-NPP Cross-track Infrared Sounder (CrIS), and the
MetOP Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer (IASI).
This Infusing satellite Data into Environmental Applications-International (IDEA-I) software is globally configurable and is supported on CentOS6 64-bit and compatible systems running Intel Linux.

The software can be downloaded from the IMAPP website:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/imapp/ideai_ozone_v1.0.shtml

Best regards,

Kathy (for the IDEA-I IMAPP team)