MIRS first guess

Advanced Technology Microwave Sounder Sensor Data Record
zion0210

MIRS first guess

Post by zion0210 »

Hello, colleagues.

As far as I know, the MIRS software uses retrospective average temperature profile and surface pressure for first guess.
Now there is a large anomaly of pressure and temperature in the region of my interest.
Therefore, results of the MIRS have more differences regarding the measurement of surface air temperature.
Can I use GFS data for first guess to receive the best result?
If it's possible, how can I do it?

Regards,
zion0210
kathys

Re: MIRS first guess

Post by kathys »

Can you provide a few more details about the "anomaly" that you are seeing?
  • Did you install the most recent version of the CSPP MiRS software and successfully execute the verification script?
  • When you say there are large anomalies of pressure and temperature, what do you mean? Are you comparing it to observations? Are you comparing to other instruments?
  • What satellite and instruments have you executed the software on? Do you see the anomalies for all of the instruments?
Thank you,

Kathy
zion0210

Post by zion0210 »

Dear Kathy

I handle ATMS and AMSU/MHS.
I am currently using MIRS v3.0, but discovered this anomaly last winter when I was using MIRS v2.3 and v2.4.
I noticed that the surface pressure difference between the MIRS and ground measurements can be as high as 50-70 hPa. For example, the MIRS first guess is 890 hPa, ground measurement - 960 hPa.
For this reason, I want to try to use surface pressure data from GFS. Perhaps in this way I will be able to improve the reconstruction of the temperature profile near the surface layer.
How can I use GFS data for MIRS first guess?

Regards,
zion0210
kathys

Post by kathys »

The CSPP version of the MiRS software is packaged for ease of use, with no science source code, and there is not any way that I know of to modify this CSPP version to use GFS inputs in place of what is currently used.

The NOAA team that provides the MiRS software for the CSPP Team to package and distribute has extensive online documentation. The source code is also available.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/mirs/
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/mirs/downloaddap.php

This may be helpful to you. There is also contact information at the website if you would like to contact the algorithm developers.

Good luck. Kathy